Steam and GoG Release date: May 19, 2022
The long-awaited historical 4X strategy title, Old World is coming to Steam and GOG May 19, 2022. Additionally, the new “Heroes of the Aegean” Expansion will be released the same day, free to all purchasers of Old World for the first 2 weeks. Set in classic antiquity, Old World is the newest game from Soren Johnson, previously Designer of Civilization III, Civilization IV, and Offworld Trading Company.
Select from seven leaders plucked straight from history and compete to be the greatest of them all. No leader can triumph alone – the deep legacy system means leaders are mortal and will eventually die, leaving the fate of their empire to their kin. Pair this with the innovative Orders system, and Old World proves to be a refreshing take on the classic strategy genre.
Heroes of the Aegean DLC
Old World’s first expansion Heroes of the Aegean gives you control of Ancient Greece’s greatest leaders and warriors. Lead Athens to victory in the Battle of Marathon, defend Greece from a Persian invasion as Leonidas and his 300 Spartans, and conquer the Hellenic world as Alexander the Great himself in a series of scenarios spanning over 200 years of classical history. Heroes of the Aegean includes six historical free-form scenarios, each with unique characters and objectives.
Old World Key Features:
- Heroes of the Aegean DLC: free to all purchasers of Old World for the first 2 weeks.
- Mortal Leaders: While the player starts with legendary leaders such as Cyrus the Great, the Pharaoh Hatshepsut, or Queen Dido of Carthage, they are still just mortal. Once they meet their demise, the future of the nation depends on how well they prepared their dynasty. Alexander starts not as the Great but simply as Philip’s promising 13-year-old heir.
- Innovative Orders System: Orders are the resource players use to move and command their units as they see fit, unlike traditional 4X games which limit every unit to exactly one move each turn. Giving players control of who can take an action and how many times adds a new layer of strategic depth to the genre.
- Dynamic Event Engine: With a dynamic story generation system, Old World features events inspired both by real history and by our writers’ imaginations. Each event gives the player an important and impactful decision that can lead to unexpected places years later in the narrative, ensuring that no two games will ever play out the same way.
- Engaging Base Game Scenarios and Historic Maps: Beyond the standard game on random maps, Old World also ships with a Barbarian Horde scenario, perfect for single-player or cooperative multiplayer, and the epic, four-scenario Rise of Carthage campaign, which lets the player retell that nation’s story, from its founding by Dido to (hopefully) rewriting the ending of the Punic Wars. Select
- Flexible Multiplayer: Old World supports a wide variety of multiplayer modes, including asynchronous, play-by-cloud, hotseat, team games, scenarios, headless servers, and a variety of turn speeds and styles.
- Localization: Japanese, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Russian, German, French, and Spanish.
- Linux Support: Available for Linux on Steam